Montag, 27. September 2010


The Fortified Church of Prejmer was of particular strategic importance for centuries because it lies at the exit of the Buzău Pass, over which main invasions of Transylvania had to pass. The village was attacked and destroyed over 50 times between the 13th and 17th century. The fortified church however was only taken a few times.

A 30-meter long entrance tunnel, with portcullis and solid oak doors, protects the entrance to the precincts. Built into the massive fortification wall are more than 270 dwelling units and storage chambers. In case of an attack they offered shelter for up to 1,600 villagers. Some chambers have been converted into a museum now. Connecting the chambers and along the outer wall run several staircases and corridors accessible for visitors. They are also leading to the machicolation and crenels on the outside of the fortification wall. Climbing in the dark and winding battlements is a special experience and gives a strong impression of the defence situation in case of a siege.

Montag, 20. September 2010

Dealu Frumos/Schönberg

Dealu Frumos lies on the margin of the charming valley of Hârtibaciu River. From further away the fortified church offers an impressive and typical image for Transylvania. Visitors can easily identify the gradual expansion of the defence facilities since the late Middle Ages: almost 800 years ago the construction of a pier basilica began. After several Ottoman attacks the development of the fortifications was carried out: the nave was reduced to make room for two defense towers. Around the church a fortification wall with four more towers was built. Inside the church hidden chambers providing the last chance to escape and a tunnel leading outwards from the fortress were included. In a later stage of construction, after about 100 years, part of the walls had to be transferred to the outside, because the courtyard had become too small and, in case of an attack, could no longer provide shelter for the entire village population. Following extensions were mainly increasing storage room.

Montag, 13. September 2010


It is a miracle that Stejărişu still exists, because its forefathers had a hard time there. In the 13th Century German settlers came to the Hârtibaciu valley and founded a village. They built houses, cultivated fields and built erected a church. After a severe flood, the village was destroyed and therefore moved a few miles uphill. In that time, not only Ottoman attacks posed a threat, but also for over 100 years Saxon nobles and the minions of the provost of Sibiu fought for the possession of Probstdorf. But the inhabitants of the village could not be discouraged by all these problems and stayed.

Today, more than 600 years later, the fortified church survived as a witness of those difficult times. It is located in the middle of a picturesque Transylvanian Saxon village. An Austrian Foundation supports the local development of rural tourism. In the parish house close to the church guestrooms are available. Inside the fortification the visitors can buy homemade jams, honey, juice and other products made in the village.

Montag, 6. September 2010


The legend says that before their wedding the men of Cisnădioara had to roll a big rock up to the fortified church. This was not an easy task for them because the church lies on a high hill above the village. The stones collected in this manner were further used in case of a siege and rolled down the hill to crush the enemies. Part of this tradition is still practiced today. Many young men still push huge rocks up the hill on their wedding day in order ransom their brides, who have been kidnapped during the wedding party, which is another old tradition.

Inside the fortification above the village one of the oldest churches in the country, built between 1200 and 1250, can be found. Two stair galleries lead from the church nave through the mighty exterior walls into the remains of the never completed towers.

Cisnădioara was one of the few villages in Transylvania, which had been inhabited almost exclusively by Saxons until after 1989.

Montag, 30. August 2010


In the last years Mălâncrav became known primarily for its visits of Charles, Prince of Wales. After a cautious restoration the former mansion of the Apafi family, once used by his Royal Highness, is open for visitors today. Alongside, a little further up the hill from the village the Evangelic Lutheran Fortified Church has been erected. In the Roman church visitors can find one of the best-preserved examples of 14th century linear-narrative gothic painting in Transylvania. At a length of about 20 meters, the biblical salvation history is depicted in numerous images. The paintings date from the 14th Century.

Mălâncrav is one of the last villages in Transylvania that still has a large Saxon community preserving numerous traditions. The village lies at the end of a beautiful valley and is surrounded by a gentle hilly landscape. A dense network of hiking trails leads to the neighboring villages.

A wide range of accommodations in private homes is available in Mălâncrav. Especially in the summer months, it is the perfect place to rest and relax for a few hours or days.

Montag, 23. August 2010


The ruins of the Cistercian monastery of Cârţa are an impressive testimonial of the eventful history of Transylvania. Through the construction of the monastery, around 1200, the easternmost abbey of the order was erected. Scarcely 50 years after its establishment the ensemble was destroyed by the Mongolian invasion and it had to be rebuilt afterwards. In the 15th Century the downfall of the monastery began. The buildings were damaged again by Ottoman attacks and partly burnt down. The dissolution of the abbey took place in 1471. While the chapel was being used as a parish church by the developed village, the remaining living spaces and farm buildings of the monastery decayed.

The ruins survived over the centuries until today. They are affectionately maintained and can be visited. Marginally to the whole ensemble is the evangelic protestant parsonage of the Saxon community. Professional guidance is offered there.

Montag, 16. August 2010


In Câlnic one of the last noble’s castles in Transylvania is preserved. Because of its exceptional meaning and value, it is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site.

In the 13th century Count Chyle marked his residence in the village of Câlnic by building a tower.

Due to frequent attacks from the Ottoman territories the tower was upgraded with a defensive platform and surrounded by a huge defense wall.

The relationship between the Chyl family and the predominantly Saxon villagers was never the best. Therefore in 1430 the last Count relocated and sold the residential castle to the villagers. They used the ensemble as a refuge in case of attacks from the Ottoman territories and constructed additional defense equipment and storage areas. In 1658 Turkish troops attacked the village and destroyed it. The castle, however, remained untaken.
Inside the tower there is a museum today, which offers the opportunity to have a look on the life and local traditions of Transylvanian Saxons.

Montag, 9. August 2010


How did life in late Middle Ages look like in a besieged fortified church? In Hărman one can get a feeling for it, even today, with the help of the numerous components restored. The fortified church was repeatedly besieged and attacked especially in the 16th and 17th century, but was never taken. In January 1612 the villagers even succeeded to defend the castle against a 7,000-strong army of the Hungarian prince Bathori.

At that time the ensemble comprised three surrounding walls, a moat and many defence towers. The entire third fortification wall included storage space on the inside. Water supplies were provided by wells located within the fortifications. Living units were integral part of the church, which in case of a siege could provide accommodation for the mayor, the pastor and other key community representatives.

The defensive fortifications were built between the 13th and 15 Century. Until today very well preserved remains can be visited, e.g. the powerful inner fortification wall, the defence towers, and living as well as storage rooms in the castle precincts.

Montag, 2. August 2010


Aţel with its charming fortified church is located in a picturesque side valley of the Târnava Mare River. The ensemble is a typical example of medieval defence architecture, and contains many hidden treasures that can be discovered by visitors. A concealed stone spiral staircase leads directly from the sacristy into the attic. The double-wall bell tower features even more surprises. The defense platform on the top floor offers a magnificent view of the surrounding village and landscape. From here one can also trace the course of an escape tunnel rediscovered only 50 years ago, which leads from the church to a nearby creek.

In Aţel the historic image of the village with its traditional Saxon farmhouses has been preserved to a large extend. The village is surrounded by a hilly landscape. Numerous hiking trails provide opportunities for shorter and longer tours to neighboring villages and to other fortified churches.

Montag, 26. Juli 2010


The legend of the fortified church of Cisnădie tells us that a great treasure was once hidden inside. After numerous Ottoman attacks in the 15th century the village community built a secret chamber within the castle walls. Access was secured with a massive oak door, which could only be opened by pressing a hidden spring. From the outside, the entrance was camouflaged so well that only few insiders could find it. Not even the priests knew about it. Over the centuries, the knowledge of this hidden entrance got lost. At the beginning of the 20th century it was rediscovered and can be visited today.

In addition, not secretly hidden, but visible from far away visitors can spot the first clock tower in Transylvania, which is operated since 1425th, and the first lightning rod in Transylvania dating back to 1795.

The bell ringer of Cisnădie provides expert guided tours of the castle and the church affiliated museum and has many more stories and legends to share.

Montag, 19. Juli 2010

Axente Sever/Frauendorf

The fortified church of Axente Sever was not only the religious center of the settlement over the centuries, but also a secure place to deposit valuable goods. In the numerous storage buildings in the precincts of the castle wall, small rooms were assigned to each village family for storing grain, meat and other food. Corn was not stored on farms, but brought directly to the castle after harvest to protect it from possible attackers. A special procedure was the storage of the bacon in the so-called bacon towers, which were opened to families only on Sundays after church service. To ensure that no one was serving from another’s piece of bacon, each family scratched an individual sign on the freshly cut edges.

The storage rooms have been transformed into guestrooms in recent years so that today visitors can sleep inside the mighty castle walls. In addition, a museum was set up to report on the history of the village and the fortified church.

Montag, 12. Juli 2010

Ighişu Nou/Eibesdorf

Over centuries the castle guardian had been one of the most important men in the Saxonian villages. In Ighişu Nou (German name Eibesdorf) he was provided with a dwelling in the gate tower of the church for him and his family. Among other things one of his tasks was to ring the bells three times a day, and additionally before and during church services, as well as in case of deaths. In case of a fire in the village the castle guardian also alerted all villagers with the alarm bell. In addition he was in charge of maintaining order and cleanliness in the precincts. The municipality members remunerated him with material assets and money for his services.

The position as castle guardian in Ighişu Nou remained occupied until a few years ago, although it had only been a part-time job after 1945, with the last guardian working in factories in Mediaş during the day. In the last few years the responsibilities of the castle guardian were taken over by the administrators of the parish house, which is now a homely guesthouse open for tourists all summer long.

Montag, 5. Juli 2010


Especially in the 17 and 18 centuries the community leaders in Biertan (German name Birthälm) fought a harsh fight against moral decline. They tried to stop increasing misconducts with strict rules and severe penalties. For example, it was prohibited to drink in bad company, or to linger around at the inn for too long. If “premarital immoral incidents” occurred between couples the wedding ceremony itself was conducted in an especially degrading manner. These and many others stories can be discovered by visitors to the Biertan fortified church. The so-called “Marriage prison” for divorcing couples survived until today, but only as a building. It is located in the precincts of the Biertan castle, which is one of the most impressive and largest fortified churches in Transylvania. The church dates back to the early 16th Century and is surrounded by three fortification walls and nine defensive towers. Once a year the meeting of the Saxons – the largest gathering of Germans still living in Transylvania and those who emigrated – takes place here. Inside the fortified church one can find a museum as well as a bookshop, and two guesthouses offer all year accommodation in the village.

Montag, 28. Juni 2010


Die Kirchenburg von Tartlau besaß über Jahrhunderte eine besondere strategische Bedeutung, weil sie am Ausgang des Buzaupasses liegt, über den der Haupteinfallsweg nach Siebenbürgen verlief. Das Dorf wurde zwischen dem 13. und 17. Jahrhundert über 50 Mal angegriffen und zerstört. Die Kirchenburg konnte aber nur wenige Male eingenommen werden.

In das Innere der Anlage gelangt man durch einen 30 Meter langen Eingangstunnel, der mit Fallgittern und massiven Eichentoren gesichert ist. Die Innenseite der mächtigen Ringmauer ist mit über 270 Wohnzellen und Lagerkammern bebaut. Sie boten im Fall des Angriffs Platz für bis zu 1.600 Dorfbewohner. Einige Kammern sind heute als Museumsräume hergerichtet. Zwischen ihnen und entlang der Außenmauer verlaufen zahlreiche Treppen und Gänge, die für Besucher begehbar sind. Über sie erreicht man die Pechnasen und Schießscharten an der Außenseite der Ringmauer. Das Herumklettern in den dunklen und verwinkelten Wehrgängen ist ein besonders Erlebnis und gibt einen plastischen Eindruck von der Verteidigung im Belagerungsfall.

Montag, 21. Juni 2010

Dealu frumos/Schönberg

Schönberg liegt am Rande des malerischen Harbachtals. Schon von weitem bietet die Kirchenburg ein eindrückliches und für Siebenbürgen typisches Bild. An ihr lässt sich der schrittweise Ausbau der Verteidigungsanlagen seit dem ausgehenden Mittelalter sehr gut ablesen: Vor knapp 800 Jahren wurde mit dem Bau einer Pfeilerbasilika begonnen. Nach mehreren osmanischen Angriffen erfolgte der Ausbau der Befestigungsanlagen: Das Kirchenschiff wurde verkleinert, um Platz für zwei Wehrtürme zu schaffen. Um die Kirche herum errichtete man eine Ringmauer mit weiteren vier Türmen. In der Kirche wurden versteckte Kammern als letzter Fluchtmöglichkeit angelegt sowie ein Tunnel, der aus der Befestigung hinaus führte. In einer weiteren Bauetappe rund 100 Jahre später musste ein Teil der Ringmauern nach außen versetzt werden, weil der Burghof zu klein geworden war und im Angriffsfall nicht mehr die gesamte Dorfbevölkerung aufnehmen konnte. Spätere Ausbauten dienten vor allem der Vergrößerung der Lagerräume.

Montag, 14. Juni 2010


Es ist ein Wunder, dass Probstdorf bis heute existiert, denn die Urväter hatten es anfangs nicht einfach. Im 13. Jahrhundert kamen deutsche Siedler an den Harbach und gründeten ein Dorf. Sie errichteten Häuser, legten Felder an und bauten sich eine Kirche. Nach einer schweren Überschwemmung wurde die Siedlung zerstört und musste weiter hangaufwärts neu aufgebaut werden. In dieser Zeit bedrohten nicht nur osmanische Angriffe die Bewohner, sondern über mehr als 100 Jahre stritten sächsische Adlige und die Hermannstädter Probstei um den Besitz an Probstdorf. Die Bewohner ließen sich von all den Problemen nicht entmutigen und blieben.

Heute, über 600 Jahre später, ist die Kirchenburg als Zeuge dieser schweren Zeit erhalten geblieben. Sie befindet sich in der Mitte eines malerischen siebenbürgisch-sächsischen Dorfes. Eine österreichische Stiftung fördert vor Ort die Entwicklung des ländlichen Tourismus. Im Pfarrhaus direkt am Dorfanger stehen Gästezimmer zur Verfügung. In der Kirchenburg werden hausgemachte Marmelade, Honig, Saft und andere Produkte aus lokalem Anbau verkauft.

Montag, 7. Juni 2010


In Michelsberg mussten der Sage nach heiratswillige Männer vor der Hochzeit einen mächtigen Felsstein auf die Kirchenburg hinauf rollen. Dies war keine ganz einfache Aufgabe, denn die Anlage befindet sich auf einem steilen Hügel über dem Dorf. Die so auf die Burg gekommenen Steine sollten im Belagerungsfall auf die Angreifer hinab gerollt werden. Dieser Brauch wird in Teilen bis heute fortgeführt. Immer wieder berichten junge Ehemänner, dass sie während der Hochzeitsfeier mächtige Felssteine auf die Burg schleppen mussten, um ihre – ebenfalls alten Traditionen folgend – während der Feierlichkeiten entführten Bräute freikaufen zu können.

In der Burg oberhalb des Dorfes findet man eine der ältesten Kirchen des Landes, die zwischen 1200 und 1250 entstanden ist und ein Zeugnis der Baukunst der Zisterziensermönche ist. Vom Kirchenschiff aus führen zwei Treppenstollen innerhalb der mächtigen Außenmauern in die Stümpfe der niemals vollendeten Türme.

Michelsberg war eines der wenigen Dörfer Siebenbürgens, das bis nach 1989 fast ausschließlich von Sachsen bewohnt war.

Montag, 31. Mai 2010


Malmkrog wurde in den letzten Jahren vor allem durch die Besuche von Prince Charles bekannt. Das von ihm genutzte ehemalige Herrenhaus der Familie Apafi ist nach einer behutsamen Sanierung inzwischen auch für Besucher geöffnet. Direkt daneben etwas oberhalb des Dorfes befindet sich die evangelische Kirchenburg. In der romanischen Kirche können die bedeutendsten zusammenhängenden Wandmalereien Siebenbürgens besichtigt werden. Auf eine Länge von rund 20 Metern ist die biblische Heilsgeschichte in zahlreichen Bildern dargestellt. Die Malereien stammen aus dem 14. Jahrhundert.

Malmkrog ist eines der letzten Dörfer Siebenbürgens, in dem sich eine größere sächsische Gemeinde mit zahlreichen Traditionen erhalten hat. Der Ort liegt am Ende eines wunderschönen Tals und ist von einer sanften Hügellandschaft umgeben. Über ein dichtes Wanderwegenetz erreicht man benachbarte Dörfer.

In Malmkrog stehen zahlreiche Unterkünfte in Privathaushalten zur Verfügung. Vor allem in den Sommermonaten ist dies der ideale Platz, um für ein paar Stunden oder Tage Ruhe und Erholung zu finden.

Montag, 24. Mai 2010


Die Ruinen des Zisterzienserklosters von Kerz sind ein eindrückliches Zeichen der wechselvollen Geschichte Siebenbürgens. Um 1200 entstand mit dem Kloster die östlichste Abtei des Ordens überhaupt. Knapp 50 Jahre nach Gründung wurde die Anlage während des Mongolensturms weitgehend zerstört und anschließend wiederaufgebaut. Im 15. Jahrhundert setzte der Niedergang des Klosters ein. Die Gebäude wurden durch osmanische Angriffe erneut beschädigt und teilweise niedergebrannt. Im Jahr 1471 erfolgte die Auflösung der Abtei. Während das Gotteshaus als Pfarrkirche des entstandenen Dorfes genutzt wurde, verfielen die übrigen Wohn- und Wirtschaftsgebäude des Klosters.

Die Ruinen sind bis heute erhalten geblieben. Sie werden liebevoll gepflegt und können besichtigt werden. Am Rande der Anlage befindet sich das evangelische Pfarrhaus der Gemeinde. Dort werden sachkundige Führungen angeboten.

Montag, 17. Mai 2010


In Kelling ist eine der letzten Gräfenburgen Siebenbürgens erhalten geblieben. Wegen ihrer außergewöhnlichen Bedeutung ist sie Bestandteil des UNESCO-Weltkulturerbes.

Im 13. Jahrhundert ließ Graf Chyl zu Kelling im Dorf einen Wohnturm für sich errichten. Auf Grund der häufigen Angriffe aus osmanischen Gebieten wurde der Turm mit einer Wehrplattform ausgestattet und von einer mächtigen Ringmauer umgeben.

Das Verhältnis zwischen der Familie Chyl und dem überwiegend sächsischen Dorf war aber von Anfang an nicht das Beste. Um 1430 zog sich daher der letzte Erbgraf aus dem Ort zurück und verkaufte die Wohnburg an die Dorfbewohner. Diese nutzen die Anlage als Fluchtburg bei Angriffen aus osmanischen Gebieten und statteten sie mit weiteren Wehranlagen und Lagerräumen aus. Im Jahr 1658 griffen türkische Truppen das Dorf an und verwüsteten es. Die Burg konnte dabei jedoch nicht eingenommen werden.
Im Innern des Wohnturms gibt es heute ein Museum, das einen Eindruck über das Leben und die lokalen Traditionen der Siebenbürger Sachsen vermittelt.

Montag, 3. Mai 2010


Wie lief das Leben im ausgehenden Mittelalter in einer belagerten Kirchenburg ab? In Honigberg kann man dies an den zahlreichen restaurierten Bauteilen noch heute plastisch nachvollziehen. Die Kirchenburg wurde vor allem im 16. und 17. Jahrhundert mehrfach belagert und angegriffen, konnte aber nicht eingenommen werden. Im Jahr 1612 gelang es den Dorfbewohnern sogar, die Burg gegen ein 7.000 Mann starkes Heer des ungarischen Fürsten Bathori zu verteidigen.
Zu der Zeit war die Anlage mit drei Ringmauern, einem Wassergraben und zahlreichen Wehrtürmen gesichert. Die dritte Burgmauer war an der Innenseite komplett mit Lagerräumen bebaut. Die Versorgung mit Wasser erfolgte über Brunnen, die sich innerhalb der Befestigungen befanden. In die Kirche integriert waren Wohnzellen, die im Belagerungsfall dem Bürgermeister, dem Pfarrer und weiteren wichtigen Gemeindevertretern als Wohnraum zur Verfügung standen.
Die Verteidigungsanlagen entstanden zwischen dem 13. und 15. Jahrhundert. Sehr gut erhalten geblieben sind bis heute die mächtige innere Ringmauer, die Wehrtürme sowie Wohn- und Lagerräume im Burginnenhof.

Montag, 26. April 2010


In einem malerischen Seitental der Großen Kokel liegt Hetzeldorf mit seiner pittoresken Kirchenburg. Das Bauwerk ist ein typisches Beispiel für mittelalterliche Wehrarchitektur und enthält zahlreiche verborgene Schätze, die die Besucher entdecken können. Aus der Sakristei führt eine verborgene steinerne Wendeltreppe direkt in den Dachstuhl. Der doppelwandige Glockenturm hält weitere Überraschungen bereit. Von der Wehrplattform im obersten Stockwerk bietet sich ein herrlicher Blick auf den umgebenden Ort. Von hier lässt sich auch der Verlauf eines vor knapp 50 Jahren wiederentdeckten Fluchttunnels nachvollziehen, der aus der Kirchenburg zu einem nahegelegenen Bach verlief.

In Hetzeldorf konnte das historische Ortsbild mit den traditionellen sächsischen Höfen in großen Teilen erhalten werden. Umgeben ist das Dorf von einer sanften Hügellandschaft. Zahlreiche Wanderwege bieten die Möglichkeit zu kleineren und größeren Touren in benachbarte Dörfer und zu weiteren Kirchenburgen.

Montag, 19. April 2010


Von der Heltauer Kirchenburg erzählt man sich, dass in ihr einst ein sagenhafter Schatz versteckt wurde. Nach zahlreichen osmanischen Überfällen richtete die Gemeinde im 15. Jahrhundert innerhalb der Burgmauern eine verborgene Kammer ein. Der Zugang wurde mit einer massiven Eichenholztür gesichert, die sich nur durch die Betätigung einer versteckten Feder öffnen ließ. Von außen wurde der Eingang so gut getarnt, dass er nur von den wenigen Eingeweihte gefunden werden konnte. Nicht mal die Pfarrer kannten ihn. Über die Jahrhunderte ging das Wissen über den verborgenen Zugang verloren. Erst zu Beginn des 20. Jarhundert wurde er wiederentdeckt und kann heute besichtigt werden.
Nicht im Verborgenen, sondern weithin sichtbar findet man außerdem am Kirchturm die erste Turmuhr Siebenbürgens, die ab 1425 betrieben wurde, sowie den ersten Blitzableiter Siebenbürgens von 1795.
Der Glöckner von Heltau bietet sachkundige Führungen durch die Kirchenburg und das angegliederte Museum an und hat zahlreiche weitere Anekdoten und Sagen zu berichten.

Montag, 29. März 2010

Axente Sever/Frauendorf

Die Kirchenburg von Frauendorf war über Jahrhunderte nicht nur das religiöse Zentrum des Ortes, sondern auch sicherer Lagerplatz für wertvolle Waren. In zahlreichen Speichergebäuden, die an die Innenseite der Burgmauer gebaut wurden, waren jeder Familie Räume für Getreide, Fleisch und andere Lebensmittel zugewiesen. So wurde nach der Ernte das Korn nicht auf den Höfen gelagert, sondern direkt in die Burg gebracht, um es vor möglichen Angreifern zu schützen. Eine besondere Prozedur war die Einlagerung des Specks im sogenannten Speckturm. Dieser war den Familien nur an Sonntagen nach den Gottesdiensten geöffnet. Um sicherzugehen, dass sich niemand an einer fremden Speckseite bediente, ritzen die Familien spezielle Zeichen an den frischen Schnittkanten ein.
Die Lagerräume wurden in den letzten Jahren in Gästezimmer umgewandelt, so dass Besucher heute innerhalb der mächtigen Burgmauern wohnen können. Außerdem wurde ein Museum eingerichtet, dass über die Geschichte des Dorfes und der Kirchenburg berichtet.

Montag, 22. März 2010

Ighisu Nou/Eibesdorf

Der Burghüter war über Jahrhunderte einer der wichtigsten Männer in den sächsischen Dörfern. In Eibesdorf standen ihm und seiner Familie eine Wohnung im Torturm der Kirchenburg zur Verfügung. Zu seinen Aufgaben zählte unter anderem das dreimal tägliche Läuten, zusätzlich vor und nach Gottesdiensten sowie bei Todesfällen. Auch wenn ein Feuer im Dorf ausbrach, alamierte der Burghüter mit der Alarmglocke die Bewohner. Außerdem hatte er für Ordnung und Sauberkeit im Burghof zu achten. Für seine Dienste wurde er von den Gemeindemitgliedern mit Naturalien und Geld entlohnt.
Der Posten des Eibesdorfer Burghüters blieb bis vor wenigen Jahren besetzt, auch wenn es nach 1945 nur noch eine nebenberufliche Tätigkeit war und die letzten Burghüter tagsüber in Mediasch in Fabriken arbeiteten. In den letzten Jahren werden seine Aufgaben von den Bewirtschaftern des ehemaligen Pfarrhauses wahrgenommen, das inzwischen zu einem gemütlichen Gästehaus umfunktioniert wurde und in den Sommermonaten Gästen offen steht.

Montag, 15. März 2010


                                                                     Bild von Stefan Jammer
In Birthälm gab es vor allem im 17. und 18. Jahrhundert einen erbitterten Kampf der Oberen gegen den Verfall der Sitten. Mit strengen Regeln und harten Strafen sollte den zunehmenden Verfehlungen Einhalt geboten werden. Verboten war zum Beispiel das Trinken in schlechter Gesellschaft oder das zu lange Verweilen im Wirtshaus. Wurden bei trauungswilligen Paaren „voreheliche unsittliche Vorkommnisse“ festgestellt, gab es eine spezielle entwürdigende Hochzeitsprozedur. Diese und zahlreiche weitere Geschichten kann man beim Besuch der Kirchenburg Birthälm erkunden. Bis heute erhalten geblieben ist zum Beispiel das sogenannte „Ehegefängnis“ für scheidungswillige Paare. Es befindet sich innerhalb der Birthälmer Kirchenburg, die eine der eindrucksvollsten und größten Siebenbürgens ist. Die Kirche stammt aus dem frühen 16. Jahrhundert ist von drei Ringmauern und neun Wehrtürmen umgeben. Einmal im Jahr findet in Birthälm das Sachsentreffen statt – die größte Zusammenkunft in Siebenbürgen verbliebener und ausgewanderter Deutscher. In der Kirchenburg gibt es ein Heimatmuseum und einen Buchladen. Im Dorf stehen ganzjährig   Unterkünfte in zwei Gästehäusern zur Verfügung.

Freitag, 12. März 2010

Kirchenburgen – lebendige Geschichte Siebenbürgens

Seit Jahren fragen immer mehr Touristen nach den siebenbürgischen Kirchenburgen. Da es bisher nur wenige Informationen gibt, hat die Leitstelle eine Broschüre hergestellt, die 13 der schönsten Burgen mit Anekdoten und Geschichten vorstellt.
Die Broschüre liegt auf der Internationalen Tourismusbörse in Berlin aus (10.-14.03.2010). Dort finden Sie Rumänien und Siebenbürgen in der Halle 11.1 am Stand 105. Außerdem wird die Broschüre in Rumänischen Fremdenverkehrsämtern sowie bei regionalen Tourismusanbietern und Informationszentren ausgelegt.
Sie erzählt 13 kleine Geschichten rund um die erwähnten Kirchenburgen. Wir werden Ihnen hier in den kommenden Wochen jeweils montags eine neue vorstellen.
Lassen Sie sich darauf ein und folgen Sie den historischen Spuren nach Siebenbürgen. 
Wir freuen uns über Ihr Interesse und Ihre Anregungen.