Montag, 23. August 2010


The ruins of the Cistercian monastery of Cârţa are an impressive testimonial of the eventful history of Transylvania. Through the construction of the monastery, around 1200, the easternmost abbey of the order was erected. Scarcely 50 years after its establishment the ensemble was destroyed by the Mongolian invasion and it had to be rebuilt afterwards. In the 15th Century the downfall of the monastery began. The buildings were damaged again by Ottoman attacks and partly burnt down. The dissolution of the abbey took place in 1471. While the chapel was being used as a parish church by the developed village, the remaining living spaces and farm buildings of the monastery decayed.

The ruins survived over the centuries until today. They are affectionately maintained and can be visited. Marginally to the whole ensemble is the evangelic protestant parsonage of the Saxon community. Professional guidance is offered there.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen